Sunday, September 28, 2014

Retreat into the Silence

A view of Rocca di Papa
As my ordination to the diaconate approaches rapidly, I had the wonderful privilege of spending the last seven days in retreat. My class traveled to Rocca di Papa, a mountaintop village overlooking Rome, for our canonical retreat. The Church wisely requires her candidates for Holy Orders to make a retreat in silence in immediate preparation for ordination asking the Lord for the grace to live faithfully and fruitfully diaconal ministry. Thanks everyone for the prayers. Through the Scriptures and daily Mass, in the silence, in the fresh mountain air, and in the natural beauty of God's creation it was really wonderful to once again hear the Lord's call. I was guided through the retreat by a young Jesuit priest from Slovenia. It was awesome to have his insight into the retreat, the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises, and his own knowledge and devotion to our beloved Ven. Bishop Baraga. I thought of you all back in the diocese often during the retreat as I meditated on the ordination rite in particular, which calls the deacon to be a man of charity following the Lord's example "who came not to be served but to serve." Know of my prayers for you all in these grace-filled days and I ask for your prayers for me and my 42 other classmates who will be ordained on Thursday, October 2nd in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment