Friday, November 15, 2013

I believe...Credo

It is the last few weeks of the Year of Faith, which was announced by Pope Benedict XVI and carried forward by Pope Francis. These last few weeks it may be good to ask ourselves: How has the year born fruit in my life? What graces have I received? How has the Year of Faith prepared me to continue on my journey?


Last Sunday, I had a pretty cool experience. Pope Francis has asked all the parishes of the Diocese of Rome to make an Act of Faith by making a mini-pilgrimage to one of the four major basilicas in Rome and as a parish community profess the Creed. The parish that I help out in went to St. John Lateran, the cathedral of Rome to make their profession of faith. I was impressed by the number of people from the parish who made the trip from Santa Galla parish to St. John's (especially considering it was raining and there was a major soccer game on the TV). 


We all met outside the doors of the cathedral and the pastor explained the significance of what we were doing. The associate pastor began chanting the Litany of Saints as we processed into the church all they way to the main altar. From there we heard a reading from the Gospel, prayed the intercessions, and then together prayed the Apostle's Creed. 




Afterwards the associate pastor led the parishioners on a tour through the basilica. But instead of focusing on the history of the architecture he used passages from scripture to highlight the meaning behind the building itself. 

I was really moved by the experience. It's powerful to profess our One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic faith in one of the most important churches. And to think for everyone else there, they were just a 10 minute bus ride from their local cathedral. One lady even asked me if my cathedral is like theirs. I smiled and said, "It may not be as big or as old as yours, but it sure is important for all of us!" 

The whole thing just highlights the universality and the vibrancy of our faith. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment