Monday, October 15, 2012

"O Holy Spirit, renew your wonders in this our day, as by a new
Pentecost."
 Pope John XXIII
Looking back in St. Peter's Square
This past week has been quite memorable. Between the Mass for the beginning of the Year of Faith, the Synod of Bishops happening down the street, the beginning of the new academic year at the Angelicum, and the 50th anniversary of the commencement of the II Vatican Council, there is not little to be reflected upon.

I too, like Chris, was at the opening Mass for the Year of Faith. Before the Mass began I set myself to the task of reading Bl. Pope John XXIII opening address that he gave in that very basilica all of 50 years ago. I'm no expert in Church history or in the II Vatican council, but it doesn't take much to know that this ecumenical council of over 3,000 successors of the apostles 50 years ago has effected almost every aspect of my experience of being a Catholic Christian. I've always known it was important, but the why and the how are just beginning to dawn on me. In the midst of the gathering of a visible sign of the whole universal church my heart turned to our particular church, the Diocese of Gaylord. In a real way, I sensed the communion of the Body of Christ united by the Holy Spirit. I prayed for you all there, in St. Peter's square. I wish I could express this better, but in a real way I knew that all the people of God of our particular church, the Diocese of Gaylord, were united together in prayer, in the Holy Mass. Know that whenever I have the opportunity to attend a Papal Mass I do with the intention of representing you all and carrying with me your intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment