Saturday, April 7, 2012

Stay with me one hour...

The Last Supper
When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples across the Kidron valley, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered. - Jn 18,1

After the Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday evening, one may have been surprised to see many of the seminarians from the NAC heading out into the city on foot. I was one of them. We joined in the traditional pilgrimage throughout the city. We visited church after church in order to pray for a few moments at that parish's Altar of Repose. As you can imagine, it was a really beautiful experience. I was especially impressed by the number of people out walking about to visit and pray at the various Roman churches. From the faithful old Italian ladies to the young mother's bringing along their children (and their husbands) to the rather large number of young women. The number of young women surprised me. Some of them I noticed were speaking Spanish so they had even traveled to Rome to celebrate Holy Week. Growing up, I always cherished  praying in the "Garden" Holy Thursday evening. So tonight was a time to look back, cherishing fond memories, and to live in the present moment forming memories that will stay with me forever.