Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hello from Ohio!

Hello everyone! As this is my first post, I would like to quickly introduce myself for those who may not know.  My name is Deacon Peter Wigton, and I am currently finishing up my seminary studies at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio.  I will be ordained a priest, God willing, on June 9, 2012.  Please keep me in your prayers, and I would love to see you there if you are able to make it. 
Pontifical College Josephinum
As you may know, many of the seminarians from the Diocese of Gaylord, 9 in fact, are currently studying at the Josephinum, and both of our Roman seminarians, Tyler Bischoff and Matt Cowan, studied philosophy here as well.  That being the case, we thought that we would share with you some of what our lives are like.  
Main Entrance
This photo to the left is of the front of the seminary and the statue is of our founder, Monsignor Joseph Jessing.  As you can see, it is a very beautiful campus, one which I have had the blessing of calling home for the last four years.  Interesting fact, since our enrollment this year is up, some of the deacon class had to move to the guest suites in the front administration building.  This means that my room is just over the main entrance door.  My window can be seen to the right behind the cross. 
My deacon year here has been quite wonderful and busy as I expected it would be.  I am currently working on two thesis papers.  The first is for my Masters of Sacred Theology with a concentration in Sacred Scripture.  My topic is "The use of the word 'mother' in the Gospel of John."  Sounds so exciting, I know.  My second thesis is on "Marian Participation in the Liturgy."  Both of these papers are studies on Our Lady.  I have really enjoyed them so far, but will be happy when they are done.  
St. Joseph's Oratory
Of course, along with studies, my daily life is full of many other activities.  First and foremost is prayer.  Here at the Josephinum we are blessed with four chapels, my favorite of which is St. Joseph's Oratory in the Theology house.  This is were I've been going to Mass and praying the Liturgy of the Hours on a daily basis since I came here.  Most stunning of all are the stained-glass windows.  
Championship Game Tip Off




One of the great aspects about the Josephinum, is our community life and activities.  We love to engage in brotherhood and can be found playing a pickup game of basketball, soccer, frisbee, softball and flag football on a regular basis.  This activities are usually followed by time spent together in our game rooms, lounges and pubs.  Just recently, we had our annual basketball tournament.  Every year we invite other seminaries to come and compete.  The main idea is to get to know other seminarians and to build community amongst the future priests of our country.  This year Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit won the trophy.  Our team made the championship game and even gave them a run for their money, but didn't quite pull it off.   Above you can see me jumping for the tip off of the championship game.  At least I won that!  

Well, this will hopefully give you a very general idea of what life is like here.  Rest assure that there is more to come.  Of course you can see what the Josephinum is up to by visiting our website at www.pcj.edu.  Ciao for now!