Wednesday, February 22, 2012

For the least of my brethren...


Today was not only the beginning of Lent, but also I started my work at my apostolate for this semester. I've been asked to work with the Missionaries of Charity. The Missionaries of Charity as you probably know were founded by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Her order has spread throughout the world. I'll be helping out at the Sister's house near the Vatican called Dono di Maria. I believe Blessed John Paul II gave Blessed Teresa this house in order to begin ministering to the poor of the city of Rome.

I'll be helping the sisters prepare a hot meal for 60 to 70 men each Wednesday. I'm not the only volunteer on Wednesdays. Other seminarians from the NAC and from the Opus Dei seminary in addition to other Italian lay men and women who volunteer with the sisters on a regular basis. It was a lot of fun tonight interacting with the whole group of volunteers while we worked to prepare the meal. It will also be good way for me to practice speaking Italian.

One of the sisters told me that I'll have to be on my best behavior because all the sisters there know Bishop Hebda well. While he worked in Rome he celebrated the morning Mass for them once a week. Wednesday is Gaylord day for the sisters because Msgr. Gallagher (a priest of the diocese of Gaylord working in Rome) celebrates the Holy Mass for them in the morning and I'm there to work the men's dinner in the evening.

Needless to say I'm really looking forward to getting to know the other volunteers and the sisters, but more importantly to spread the love and joy of Christ through the small way that I've been called to minister to the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment