Monday, November 14, 2011

Pilgrims on a Journey

Last week over 53 pilgrims from the Diocese of Gaylord made an eight day pilgrimage around Italy, ending in Rome. I know...it was last week...forgive me for not posting for so long.

It was a wonderful visit. It was good to see so many people from home. Even though I didn't necessarily know everyone, it was great to have people around that knew where Tawas (my hometown) is. Two moments of the trip were especially poignant for me: First thing was when Matt saw his mom again after almost a year and half. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Second thing was meeting with Bishop again. Since he has experienced everything about living in Rome it was great to hear his advice and encouragement.

The other memorable aspect of the visit was attending Mass with the group at St. Mary Major and St. Peter's Basilica. Bishop celebrated Mass for us in the crypt near the bones of St. Peter. It was so powerful to be there with a sucessor of the Apostles, and not only any sucessor to the Apostles, but OUR sucessor, our tangible link to the Apostles.

Finally, the trip wouldn't have been complete without lots of tours and LOTS of food. Italians know how to enjoy life. Though after a week of feasting, I've come to realize that I need to run even more to try to stay fit. So luckily one of the pilgrims was kind enough to bring me new running shoes. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment