Monday, October 10, 2011

Off to Class


Today marked the beginning of the academic year for the Pontifical Universities in Rome. So this morning after 6:15 morning prayer, Mass and breakfast, I packed my backpack with paper and pens and made my way to the Angelicum. The weather this morning was brisk. (I can't tell you how happy I am that I needed a light jacket this morning. The heat may finally be done!) After a 35 minute walk I arrived at the Ange.

My first class was Introduction to Theology, followed by Pentateuch and the Historical books of the Old Testament, and then Early Church history. I'm so happy to finally be back in school. After FIVE months I can say I'm a student again.

Classes in Rome are different than back in the States. For example, almost all my classes the only examination will be a 10 minute oral exam at the end of the semester. Also the professors will not assign any readings or homework. Rather they give you a bibliography of suggested reading. You are on your own to find the right books to supplement your studies. Since it is a Dominican University, all the classes that I'll be taking are taught by Dominicans.

My mom always had the tradition of taking my picture on the first day of school every year. Since I've been in college I'll admit that I've not followed my mom's tradition. But today I was feeling a bit nostalgic so I had my picture taken outside the NAC just before walking to class. Hope you are happy mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment