Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grace-filled days...


Thank you all for your prayers last week while I was on retreat. It was a really grace-filled silent retreat.

I wish I would have remembered to bring my camera because the location was absolutely beautiful. The retreat was held at a Franciscan retreat house in Greccio. Greccio is on the side of a mountain about halfway between Rome and Assisi. About 100 meters down the road from the retreat center was a Francisican monastery. At that monastery, St. Francis built the first creche' (manger scene). It was a great place to pray. Just think, St. Francis would have made retreats in the same location that I was able to make a retreat. What a powerful intercessor! St. Francis loved nature. He also embraced the suffering and death of our Savior. For me, a powerful image throughout the week was the San Domiano crucifix hanging in my room. A reminder for me to pick up and carry my cross each day.

The retreat was my 4th experience of a silent retreat but for some of my brothers it was there first time. Everyone seemed to a have a prayerful experience. (How could you not?)

I also got a chance to run around during the retreat. I thought that running would be great, but in fact it was really hard. I had no choice but to either run up or down the side of a mountain. Needless to say I was really sore all week.

Now I'm physically, mentally and spiritually ready to begin theology classes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment